Commission a Carving
Woodcarvings by W.F. Judt
Shape and Size:
• Minimum carving size is one square foot or larger.
• Carvings can be round, oval, square, rectangular or any irregular shape.
• Most carvings are executed in 2" wood stock to a depth of 1-1/4"
• Red Birch - close grained, light rose color
• White Birch - close grained, reﬂective, light browns
• Cherry - close grained, color of immature cherries
• Hard Maple - very hard, close grained, light silver-brown
• Beech - reddish brown, close grain, very hard
• Red Oak - coarse grain, soft golden brown
• Typically, carvings are priced between $900 US and $1100 US per square foot, depending on the complexity.
• This price includes consultations time, design time, preliminary drawings, working drawings, and ﬁnishing, but not local taxes, crating or shipping.
Timeline of Commissioned Carving:
• Initial contact is made by phone (306-715-4919) or by email at: email@example.com
• Design resources are collected (pictures, words, symbols) and customer preferences are identiﬁed before the carving begins.
• A preliminary pattern is prepared for presentation to the customer.
• After the preliminary pattern is approved in principle,a master pattern is created. This contains the details that will appear in the carving in full size.
• The customer approves the ﬁnal design. At this time 20% of the total cost of the commission is payable.
• The wood panel is laminated, the design is transferred to wood, and the actual carving commences.
• The carving is delivered to the customer, and the balance payment is made.
If you want to inquire about a commissioned woodcarving, e-mail Bill Judt at:
or phone (306)-715-4919
or send smail-mail to:
46 Harvard Cres.,
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada,